Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Beginning of the End of the Beginning

So I’m needing a little confirmation that somebody is reading my blog. Please comment. Let me know you’re there. I’m feeling cut off from the world I once knew. And whatever you do, avoid Facebook since the internet’s so slow I can’t even post on walls. Email updates on what’s going on back home are amazing.

They say we will go through mood swings throughout training and the rest of service. Well, the confidence I was exuding a couple of weeks ago has taken a solid hit and sent me back down in the trenches.

Being sick was tough, but as I fought off my cold’s lingering hold, I received word that my grandfather was deathly sick with pneumonia, and it didn’t look good. My one major fear of leaving home for two years faced immanent realization. And though I hadn’t felt homesick for quite some time, I was pulled back into the misery of missing everything I left behind. And I’m not sure how, but all this served to weaken me so my confidence could be exposed and attacked. So now I feel as if my Russian will never be good enough, which won’t matter anyway since everyone seems to speak Ukrainian here, and my looming responsibilities at site seem impossibly challenging. Where I once felt comfortable I now feel like a stranger, unwelcome and unwanted.

Honestly this is all in my head, but training is so competitive we don’t exactly encourage each other all the time. And my pride keeps me from seeking solace from my competitors as it might reveal a crack in my armor. Staff from the office even gave us a speech about how if we were even thinking about quitting we should do it sooner than later. Don’t get me wrong. I’m nowhere near ready to give up. I’m just insecure, and a little lonely. And it’s not like I have any time to sit and reflect on any one success since now that I’m done teaching, my group has to plan an extracurricular activity we just found out about, a community project, and a three day summer camp for 6th graders, diaper deal to those of you who know what I’m talking about. And all this is due in a week as our project is on June 1st, and our camp starts on the 3rd.

Well, my grandfather is breathing on his own off the ventilator, the last lesson I taught was a resounding success all things considered, I only cough in the mornings now, I had a successful conversation with my host father without having to punt to my English speaking host sister or give up entirely, and I’m in Kiev. There are three weeks to go and the intense part will be over. I will graduate my cultural boot camp, be sworn in, and be blissfully sent to the middle of nowhere Ukraine all alone, an independent, functioning volunteer with a job to do. They said we would have mood swings. But they also said they would get shorter. I think I’m heading back up into no-man’s land.

5 comments:

  1. Wow man, that's intense! I don't know if I could do what you are doing, but that's why I'm always so proud of/encouraged by/in awe of you. Patrick Coussens and I recently made the trip to Texas to see Jon, meaning we spent about 30 hours in the car together just talking (who knew right?) the overarching theme of our conversations during the entire trip was this idea of "wanting something bad enough". It was relevant in our discussions of life goals, of priorities, even of self-reflective goals of improvement and changing who we are at this age....all came down to the idea that you can do anything as long as you want it bad enough. And knowing how much you are sold out for the cause of the Peace Corps, and how bad you want this, I know that you have what it takes to do this...even in the valleys of loneliness and doubt. So just remind yourself how much you want this, and that that's what is keeping you in the game, and sit back and watch it realized in front of your very eyes! Just know that you aren't there missing everyone back here while we go on about our lives not thinking about you, cause we are all missing you like WHOA! too and (I for one) are obsessively reading your blog as a way of staying connected to you. Love you bro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BENJI!

    Echoing Ben's comments, please please please don't think that we're not here, wishing we could experience everything that you're going through...with you :) Your lovely typed words are the closest we can get to sharing these memories with you - and I am also obsessively following it. Keep up the wonderful posting and be on the lookout for a serious care package that has been in the works for quite some time now. MJ and I will be sending it this week.

    Benji, keep truckin' my man - and we'll be here in rainy Atlanta thinking of you. We love you!

    :) :) ::HUGE hug::

    PS - I have heard of GirlTalk and absolutely LOVE it. Imagine MJ and I jamming out and dancing around our living room; that's how much we ADORE him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds both tough, yet appropriate for what you're doing. Of course you'll be having the doubts and of course some big things that you didn't expect would hit you. Even if you were home, there would be difficult things. My advice is to keep in mind the bigger picture, and perservere.

    I like reading you blog because I feel like I live a bit through you, Ben, and get a preview of some of my emotions (Turns out I'm moving to China for an artist residency.)

    Stick it out, my friend. You'll find the comfort of living soon. You are on your path. Don't let events you could not predict sway that. You're doing the right thing.

    Godspeed! It is a pleasure to check in on you..
    -Kofke

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you knew how much I stalk your blog, you would probably feel better:) I mean, it's really a little creepy I check it so much...

    I felt exactly like you're feeling when I was in California on my own..granted, I was only there 2 and 1/2 months, but I know it can get really lonely. Hang in there:) You have SOOO many people praying for you constantly. Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Benny!
    I miss you child! I checked out your pics and it looks like you're having such an awesome experience. The buildings are so beautiful, but my favorite pic is of you in dashing red pants. I hope you showed them your mean river dancing skills.

    I can't believe you're so far away, but it's such an incredible experience. Keep your head up. You will adjust in no time and make memories to last a lifetime. I'm so proud of you Ben Robbins. This takes balls... I would be such a pansy.

    I'm praying for your grandpa. Love you!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete