Thursday, July 9, 2009

Outage

Hey guys, might be some silence here for the next couple of weeks. I'm being sent to a kids' "rest camp" to help "raise" the children who are there. I think that means I'm leading English camps and games. And I think I get to go because there are like 4 kids from my school who are there. Anyways, I have no clue where this thing is or what awaits in terms of communication, so wanted to let you know I'm alive and well fixing up my apartment and damage controlling the decisions my superiors make for me. But I'm pretty pumped to have something remotely productive to do for the next two weeks.

In other news, I now have a bike, though it's not up to my standards, yet. I just got back from a trip to a salt lake, which surprisingly to me was super salty. Duct tape works miracles in Ukraine as it now pretty much holds my apartment together. Also got a schedule worked out for my first semester which is pretty much the requisite English, healthy lifestyles, and leadership teaching, but add to that a cycling club! Yep, I'm gonna try to teach these kids how to do basic maintainence on their bikes and then teach bike safety on short group rides. It could potentially be amazing or be a disaster, just the way I like it.

My mail works amazingly fast especially for letters and bubble mailers, so let me know and I'll email you my address. Not really into posting my address on the blog since who knows who might try to come find me. Hey, if you send something now, it will get here right when I get back from camp!

Hopefully I'll have some good stories to tell next time I post!

Ben

5 comments:

  1. I think you will be a great kid raiser

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our care package should be en route to you, m'dear :) Be on the lookout for it! We miss you and know that you're continuing to do well.

    I wish you the best during these next few weeks with the kiddies; I know you'll be SO solid.

    PS - I am oh-so-happy to hear that you're sticking with your plan to start some bike maintenance classes for the kids. So freakin' sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, Ben! You will hopefully get our package soon.

    For the future, what kinds of things would you like to be sent? We've got the DVDs/CDs/Books covered. :) Maybe... bike tools?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ben -

    I found your blog when I was doing some follow-up research after a trip to Kiev that included Peregova. It was my first trip to Ukraine, and even with its difficulties, it seems like a fantastic country. I look forward to keeping up with your experiences there.

    Laura in Alaska

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I just say how much I miss you? I was looking at our pictures of NYC back at the new year, and it made me both happy and sad.
    I actually have written quite a lot lately, and I want to send you the hard copies of my stuff so that you can make them bleed - with a purple pen, of course, lol.
    I can't wait till you come home.
    Of course, by then I might be off on the Atlantic working on a cruise ship somewhere.
    Anyway, till then, much love, and I am going to send you a bundle in the mail.

    Mere

    ReplyDelete