Tuesday, August 25, 2009

This might shed a little light on what I'm doing

Here's the transcript of the speech I'm about to give to a conference of teachers from the 13+ schools in my city this Thursday. Unfortunately it got translated into Russian and doesn't say half of this, but I didn't write it for nothing, so I'm posting it here for you guys to get the short and sweet version of what Peace Corps expects me to do here.

Speech to Konstantinovka Schools Conference 25/8/2009

Let me begin by telling you a little about myself. I am from America, the city of Atlanta in the state Georgia. I finished university and have a bachelor’s degree in Sociology. After university I wanted to live in another country, help children, and study the Russian language. Therefore, I joined Peace Corps.

Peace Corps is a governmental organization which is non-political and non-religious. There are three objectives for Peace Corps: to help people of interested countries in meeting their need for trained men and women, to help promote better understanding of Americans in these countries, and to help promote better understanding of other countries to Americans.

My project is called Youth Development. There are 7 focus areas for my project: 1. Developing Employment Skills 2. Teaching Entrepreneurship Skills 3. Teaching Information Technology Skills 4. Teaching Healthy Lifestyles 5. Developing Citizenship Skills 6. Building Environmental Awareness 7. Recreation. As a Youth Development volunteer I will teach at the Novodmitrovka Lyceum about topics within the focus areas of youth development, and I will also coordinate extracurricular activities that correspond to these focus areas. I will also help English teachers during classes as a native speaker is a valuable resource. In the summers I will plan camps for students which focus on Youth Development areas and I will offer students the opportunity to attend other Peace Corps facilitated camps.

Beyond helping students I would also like to educate and train teachers in the topics I teach within Youth Development focus areas. This way my project will continue after I leave in 2 years. I would also like to involve parents in any way possible to reinforce the information I provide students at school. My primary site is Novodmitrovka Lyceum, but I am open to working with the community and partnering with other organizations to serve as many children in Konstantinovka as possible. I look forward to an exciting two years and building wonderful relationships that will last a lifetime. If you have any questions feel free to ask, and I am open to any suggestions. Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Ben, you are SO clutch. What wonderful words :) They definitely lend more clarity into the expectations that have been set for you. Rock on, dude!

    ReplyDelete