Sunday, September 20, 2009

Meet Belo!

So Belo wins! Alright, the name comes from a shortened form of the street I live on named Belousova. Basically it's a mean hill with trolley tracks and tons of potholes which make it impossible to get any momentum going. And I have to ride some portion of this hill to go anywhere. Luckily I live halfway up it. I like the name too because Belo means handsome man I believe in Portuguese, and it's close to 'Velo' or French for bicycle, and also the beginning of the word for bike in Russian, 'velosiped'. And the Russian letter for 'V' is a B, so an ignorant American would pronounce it Belo instead of Velo if written in Russian. So the name hits many different levels, if you use a lot of imagination. Plus, it was the name of the emcee at the last circus I went to, and that can't help but bring back good memories (Steph, I belobrate a little everyday!) Furthermore, Belousova Street has claimed Belo for the time being as I had a crash going down the hill trying to cross the trolley tracks. After I myself am repaired I will set to fixing up my beloved though hateful Belo.

The other name in question was after my favorite street to ride in town which follows a ridgeline, and is named after the local communist hero, Artyom. So there was good reason for that name as well, though I think Belo fits more perfectly. For those of you interested, here is the list of names of my other bikes you may have met:

Ginny- the handpainted green single-speed Kmart bike
Lump- the goofy frankenstein blue and silver Del Sol
Cliff- the new black carbon fiber Jamis

Comment with your guesses as to the origins of these names!

4 comments:

  1. Belo was my vote, too! LOVE it. The reason I liked that name was because it reminded me of 'velo' so it seemed to fit perfectly :)

    I'm excited to meet Belo in person NEXT week. Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously, "Ginny" is a reference to your favorite Harry Potter character. "Lump" is just a too-accurate description of the uncomfortable growth that the seat of your Del Sol caused between your legs. And "Cliff," well, let's just say the test ride I helped myself to (hey - you're not using it!) didn't go so well...

    =P

    I love your descriptive writing, and the AMAZING, crazy situations you've exposed yourself to... keep it up!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - Belo is a true beauty in purple!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to Bellobrate with you in real life one day soon!

    ReplyDelete